6 American troops killed in Afghan suicide attack, officials say
Stars and Stripes
By Heath Druzin
Published: December 21, 2015
KABUL, Afghanistan — Six U.S. troops were killed Monday when a suicide bomber on a motorcycle plowed into a foot patrol near a major U.S. air base in Afghanistan, local officials and media reported.
Two U.S. servicemembers and one Afghan were wounded, The Associated Press and NBC news reported.
The NATO-led coalition would not confirm the identities of those killed, but Abdul Shukor Qudoosi, governor of the district where the base is located, said all six were American. The Washington Post and the Reuters news agency each quoted a U.S. official as confirming they were U.S. servicemembers.
It was the biggest single loss of life due to hostile fire suffered by the U.S. military since the end of the NATO combat mission last year. Six U.S. airmen and five civilian contractors were killed in October when a C-130 crashed in Jalalabad, but U.S. officials said hostile fire was not believed involved.
The attack happened around 1 p.m. when the attacker targeted a joint patrol of coalition troops and Afghan National Police officers in Parwan province near Bagram Air Field, Qudoosi said. He said three foreign troops and three Afghan policemen were also wounded in the attack.
read more here