December 2, 2016
A veteran who later died had been found with maggots in a wound
OKLAHOMA CITY — Four staff members at the Oklahoma Department of Veterans Affairs Talihina facility have resigned after a resident who later died was found with maggots in a wound, the agency said.
Executive Director Myles Deering said the maggots were discovered while the patient was alive but were not the cause of his death. He said the man came into the center with an infection.
“He did not succumb as a result of the parasites,” Deering said Tuesday. “He succumbed as a result of the sepsis.” Sepsis is a potentially life-threatening complication of an infection.
A physician’s assistant and three nurses, including the director of nursing, resigned in the wake of the investigation, said Shane Faulkner, a spokesman for the agency.
“All four chose to resign before the termination process began,” Faulkner said.
read more here