Disabled Veteran hit with high property tax bill after house fire in Theodore
NBC 15 News
by Muriel Bailey
February 1, 2019
THEODORE, Ala. (WPMI) — A disabled veteran and his wife say they were hit with a high property tax bill after their home caught fire.
The couple says they're now expected to pay the bill because their homestead exemption was canceled.
Last year we introduced you to Kay and Daniel Vanek. An electrical fire damaged their home in Theodore in October of 2017.
Home depot came by to help with repairs since Daniel is a disabled veteran with Parkinson’s disease.
The couple is back in their home now, but it came with some sticker shock.
"When that bill came it was quite a shock we were just not expecting that amount of money," Kay said.
Kay says they've received homestead exemption for more than 10 years, which means they didn't pay property taxes.
However, she says that changed and they got a 2018 tax bill for 1400 dollars.
"They said that was because we did not live here every day of that year," she said.
read more here